HERBS or EDIBLE PLANTS - INFO

You are strongly advised to read the relevant flower entry before ingesting any plant material!

[!] Plants that are also slightly poisonous in some way.
[!!] Beware - this plant is also poisonous.
[!!!] This plant is dangerously poisonous.

 HERBS or EDIBLE PLANTS

Parts or extracts of these plants are edible by humans in some way. That is not to say that the whole plant is edible, nor that it can do humans no harm, as most things in excess can be poisonous, even water!

Please do not go around eating any of these plants unless you are totally sure of both correct identification of the plant and are aware of which parts of the plant are edible (some parts of the same plant could be poisonous!) and under what conditions edibility is assured (some plants may need boiling before they lose their toxicity, or it may be just the infusion that is drinkable) and in what amounts it is relatively safe for (some) people to eat.

Even though the humble potato is normally regarded as edible; any green parts or shoots are extremely toxic! Moreover the toxicity is not removed by boiling! The poison responsible for this is an alkaloid called solanine, which is present in the shoots and is also manufactured by the tuber in response to sunlight falling on that part of the exposed tuber, thereupon it will turn green. Solanine poisoning can be fatal! Similarly, there may be other plants that behave in unexpected ways. Also it must be realised that some people may be especially sensitive to certain plants whereas other people are not susceptible.

Remember, even liquorice, normally regarded as edible, can lead to fatal kidney failure in the vulnerable or if eaten to excess.

Be exceedingly careful! No responsibility is accepted for any harm that may come to anyone in nibbling, eating, drinking or otherwise imbibing any part of these plants.

Beware! Some plants exude a toxic substance when the stem is broken or the leaves are crushed. In particular: The milky sap from Spurges (euphorbia is harmful on contact with the skin. Hogweed sap and Giant Hogweed sap can cause wheals on the skin after exposure to sunlight. Monk's-hood should never be touched; there is no antidote to its highly toxic nerve poison which can enter the skin by touch. The sap from Rhus trees is also injurious to tissue. This is not an exhaustive list.

[!] Plants that are also slightly poisonous in some way.
[!!] Beware - this plant is also poisonous.
[!!!] This plant is dangerously poisonous.

You are strongly advised to read the relevant flower entry before ingesting any plant material!



WildFlowerFinder Homepage